Friday 17 October 2014

Chocolate Chia Pudding


I was out with the kids at a picnic the other day and I took 4 wide mouth mason jars that I'd prepared with this chia pudding in it, for the kids and myself. One of the mums there asked what was in the jars. As I described how I made the pudding, she turned to another parent and said "oh, that's the new chia seed fad, it's all in fashion now, everyone is eating it". I was a little disheartened by her response, and I told her how much of a versatile seed it is and the health benefits we have experienced since we started using it a little over a year ago.
I'm certain she still thinks it's just a "fad" food, but I don't care. We are extremely healthy eaters and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I don't see us giving it up any time soon, that's for sure!! 

Chocolate Chia Pudding, would easily be one of my favourite foods... I eat it for breakfast some days, other days I eat it for lunch. I eat it for dessert and I take it on picnics. The kids love it, the hubby loves it. It's a winner all 'round! Did I mention it's HEALTHY?! That's right! It is incredibly good for you and it's super easy to make too :-D

It has helped me loose weight, satisfied many cravings and been a saviour for my daughters and my own digestive systems that have suffered severely from gluten sensitivities over the years.    
Thank you chia seeds!

It is gluten free, refined sugar free, raw and packed FULL of nutrients.




Here is how I make it....

CHOCOLATE CHIA PUDDING

In an 800ml mason jar, add:

500ml raw milk (or 200ml kefir and 300ml raw milk)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1teaspoon of vanilla extract

Put the lid on the jar and give it a little swish around to combine the maple syrup and milk. Then add:

1/2 cup of chia seeds (white or black is fine, there are no nutritional differences in the different colour of the seed) 
1/4 cup of raw cacao powder

Put the lid back on and give it a really good shake to combine all the ingredients. Place in fridge and give it a good shake every time you are nearby the fridge to make sure that the seeds don't clump up too much.
I like to leave it overnight, but it is ready to eat within about an hour.

If it is really clumpy, you can pour it into a big bowl and use a hand whisk to break up the chunky bits then pour it back into the jar to store in fridge, giving it a good shake before each serving. 
You can also adjust the flavour at this point too. Add more maple if you like it sweeter and more cacao if you like a stronger chocolate flavour.

I like to pour some into a bowl and cover it in fresh organic fruit. It tastes amazing with banana and kiwi fruit. It is also delicious with frozen blueberries, fresh strawberries and kiwi fruit!






PS. I am up at midnight, sewing and eating this! Best!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment